Tuned for the streets
The 2018 GSX-S1000A. Powered by a 999cc inline four-cylinder powerplant that’s based on the legendary long-stroke GSX-R1000 engine, which makes for ideal street-riding power and torque curve. Focused on making big power through the low and mid-range, this engine uses a valve-train that’s optimised to deliver street-dominating power.
Equipped with a powerful engine, Suzuki’s Advanced Traction Control System, a balanced KYB suspension, plus ABS, the GSX-S1000S is a street bike packed with some serious performance and rugged and aggressive styling.
|Engine Type||4-stroke, 4-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC|
|Engine Displacement (CC)||999|
|Bore x Stroke||73.4 mm x 59.0 mm|
|Fuel System||Fuel Injection|
|Overall Length (mm)||2115|
|Overall Width (mm)||795|
|Overall Height (mm)||1080|
|Ground Clearance (mm)||140|
|Seat Height (mm)||810|
|Curb Mass (kg)||209|
|Suspension - Front||Inverted telescopic, coil spring, oil damped|
|Suspension - Rear||Link type, coil spring, oil damped|
|Brakes - Front||Disc, twin|
|Brakes - Rear||Disc|
|Tyre - Front||120/70ZR17M/C (58W), tubeless|
|Tyre - Rear||190/50ZR17M/C (73W), tubeless|
|Fuel Tank Capacity (L)||17|
- Newly equipped back torque-limiting clutch
- Ventilation holes between the pistons on the upper crankcase to reduce pumping loss and increasing power output.
- Footrest, shift change pedal, rear brake pedal and brake and clutch lever colours are now black.
- Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 999cc inline-four engine, street-tuned version of the legendary 2005-2008 GSX-R1000 engine, is designed to provide smooth throttle response, immediate, controlled acceleration.
- Traction control to let the rider to control the throttle with more confidence in various riding conditions. You can select 3 different traction control modes 1, 2, 3 and off, depending on conditions or rider preference.
- Suzuki Easy start system needs just one-push the starter switch just like the recent automobile’s engine start system without pulling the clutch lever if the gear is in neutral. The 32-bit ECM recognises the signals and keeps starter motor working for a certain time.
- Full LCD Instrument cluster readouts include speedometer, tachometer, odometer, dual tripmeters, gear position, coolant temperatures, driving range, average fuel consumption, instantaneous fuel consumption, traction control, and a clock.
- The pistons were engineered with use of FEM (Finite Element Method) analysis to achieve optimal rigidity and weight. 3% lighter than the 2007 GSX-R engine without compromising durability.
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM)-plated cylinders integrated into the upper crankcase reduce friction and improve heat transfer and durability.
- Fuel injection system employs Suzuki’s original, SDTV (Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve) 44mm throttle body (same size as GSX-R1000K7), the secondary throttle valves are controlled by servo motor for smooth power delivery and optimum combustion efficiency.
- The exhaust system is 4-into-2 into-1 system; it has equaliser pipes between 1 and 4, 2 and 3 header pipes. This design contributes to stronger low-to-mid range output by fine-tuning the exhaust pressure waves. The Suzuki Exhaust Tuning (SET) system controls exhaust pressure waves in order to improve engine combustion at low rpm.
- Main frame is aimed to provide nimble handling and great road holding performance.
- 43mm KYB Inverted front fork which is fully adjustable damping, rebound, compression and spring pre-load.
- Brembo mono-block front brake calipers are mated with 310mm floating-mount dual discs providing strong braking performance.
- ABS monitors wheel speed 50 times per wheel rotation and matches stopping power to available traction.
- Renthal Fatbar handlebar.
- Sporty yet upright riding position with windscreen to reduce rider fatigue.
- The distinctively shaped headlight is a multi-reflector type with twin 12V/55W bulbs. LED position lights are located under the headlight, impresses its distinctive look.
- The cam profiles are designed to optimise the valve timing to tune the GSX-R1000 engine – which is designed keeping in mind racetrack use – to obtain the GSX-S1000 power character that’s more suited to the streets and winding roads.