The King of Sportbikes
It’s back, better than ever, and ready to reign.
It's the culmination of 30 years of reliable GSX-R performance, innovation, domination and unmatched value.
It's the physical embodiment of the pride and passion and expertise and determination of a Suzuki engineering team that loves riding and racing like life itself. Built with pride and passion in what the name GSX-R represents. With expertise developed over 30 years of GSX-R performance. With determination to see the GSX-R1000 reclaim its rightful title as The King Of Sportbikes.
It's a machine designed to turn a simple expression of what really matters—Run, Turn, Stop — into the powerful combination of acceleration, cornering and braking that makes this the most awesome GSX-R ever produced.
The top-spec GSX-R1000RA is equipped with the latest SHOWA BFFⓇ (Balance Free Front) forks and SHOWA BFRCⓇ lite (Balance Free Rear Cushion lite) rear shock, bi-directional quick shifter, racing launch control, LED position lights, lightweight battery and a unique black LCD instrument panel display letting you know you're sitting aboard something truly special.
|Engine Type||4-stroke, 4-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC|
|Engine Displacement (CC)||1000|
|Bore x Stroke||76.0 mm x 55.1 mm|
|Fuel System||Fuel injection|
|Overall Length (mm)||2075|
|Overall Width (mm)||705|
|Overall Height (mm)||1145|
|Ground Clearance (mm)||130|
|Seat Height (mm)||825|
|Curb Mass (kg)||203|
|Suspension - Front||Inverted telescopic, coil spring, oil damped|
|Suspension - Rear||Swingarm, coil spring, oil damped|
|Brakes - Front||Disc, twin|
|Brakes - Rear||Disc|
|Tyre - Front||120/70ZR17M/C (58W) tubeless|
|Tyre - Rear||190/55ZR17M/C (75W) tubeless|
|Fuel Tank Capacity (L)||
- Bi-directional Quick shift system allowing the rider to upshift and downshift without using the clutch or the throttle.
- Launch control system making it easier to get a good start off the line
- SHOWA Balance Free front forks
- SHOWA Balance Free rear lite shock
- Lightweight upper triple clamp
- LED position lights
- Variable valve timing (VVT)
- IMU sensor to track motorcycle motion and position of the motorcycle in 6 directions, along 3 axis – pitch, roll and yaw.
- Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (S-DMS)
- Motion Track Traction Control System
- Motion Track Brake System
- Full LCD multi-function instrument panel
- The crankshaft retains Suzuki’s Even Firing Order Engine legacy. Uneven firing order engines used in other motorcycles vibrate more while the GSX-R1000 makes good power at all engine speeds, runs smoother and reliably while emitting a screamer exhaust note.
- The short stroke engine has a 76.0 mm bore versus a 55.1mm stroke, yet is narrower than the prior generation GSX-R1000 thanks to effective design.
- The fresh design engine has been rotated back and positioned in the frame to create optimal chassis dimensions for precise handling and to balance the motorcycle’s weight.
- Titanium valves, two 31.5mm intake and two 24mm exhaust valves, are used for each cylinder. The lighter valves respond well to the finger follower’s arms and permit a 14,500 RPM redline that helps produce very high peak horsepower.
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM) coated cylinders are integrated into the upper crankcase to reduce friction and improve heat transfer and durability.
- The high 13.2:1 compression ratio helps produce high horsepower. The cylinder head’s shallow combustion chamber minimise heat produced during operation.
- The EFI system uses Suzuki’s new Ride-by-Wire Electronic Throttle Bodies where the throttle valves are controlled by a servomotor for fast response to rider throttle grip input while delivering precise and smooth power delivery.
- The automatic Idle Speed Control (ISC) improves cold starting and stabilises the engine idle regardless of engine temperature.
- New design Suzuki Ram Air Direct (SRAD) intake ducts are used to exponentially increase the volumetric flow of air amount coming in the air box as road speed increases.
- The 4-2-1 exhaust system with titanium muffler is designed to help the engine deliver a wide range of performance with an exciting rush up to redline. The titanium muffler has a pleasing appearance while creating an exciting, distinctive sound.
- The Suzuki Exhaust Tuning (SET) system valve in the mid-pipe helps control back-pressure and flow to the muffler to widen power delivery and reduce exhaust sounds without needing a larger silencer.
- The cooling system was designed using advanced analysis design so the coolant flows through the engine and radiator more efficiently. This design uses 400cc less coolant than the previous model, but the new system has better cooling efficiency while being more compact and lighter.
- The fairing lowers efficiently guide cooling air to the high-capacity curved radiator. Twin cooling fans ensure good cooling at lower road speeds.
- Additional heat is removed from the engine via the use of an air-cooled, radiator-style oil cooler mounted directly below the main radiator.
- New cassette-style, six-speed transmission uses ratios carefully selected for optimal acceleration and top speed. Like the Suzuki GSX-RR MotoGP bike, this transmission can be removed as a complete assembly from the side of the engine and features vertically staggered shafts to reduce overall engine length.
- The primary gear ratio is lower compared to the prior GSX-R1000 for stronger acceleration.
- A programmable shift light is on the main panel to provide a visual alert to the rider to shift when a certain engine RPM is reached.
- A new version of the Suzuki Clutch Assist System (SCAS) multi-plate, wet clutch is used. SCAS works like a slipper clutch during downshifts, while increasing pressure on the plates during acceleration. This smooths engine braking and lightens the clutch lever pull.
- To reduce weight, a new 525-size drive chain is used with a 45/17 final sprocket ratio that complements the larger, rear tire dimensions.
- Using lessons learning from Suzuki MotoGP chassis development, the engine angle of the GSX-R1000R was rotated backwards 6-degrees. This had the joint effect of reducing the distance of the fork to the centre of the chassis by 20mm and increase the swingarm length by 40mm. This increased chassis stability and improves aerodynamics.
- The front brakes are complemented by a 240mm rear disc brake with a NISSIN single-piston caliper to help make sure you can have controlled stops.
- Unique to Suzuki, new lightweight six-spoke wheels reduce unsprung mass and have been designed to handle the braking and drive forces that a GSX-R1000 can create.
- The track-day ready Bridgestone RS10 low mass tires, with a new higher 55% profile in the back, are premium high-grip radials that achieve excellent handling and stability.
- New SRAD intake ducts are positioned closer to the centre of the fairing nose, where air pressure is highest. The intake ducts are also larger, thanks to the compact LED headlight.
- The reasonable sport riding position is created by a carefully crafted relationship between the clip-on’s, footrests and seat. The top of the fuel tank is lowered 21mm to make it easier for the rider to tuck in on a racetrack straightaway.
- The passenger seat can be removed and exchanged with an optional, colour-matched rear seat cowl.
- The shifter and rear brake pedal are adjustable in relation to the footrests, and the hand controls are adjustable in relation to the grips. The front brake lever has a slot machined in the end to prevent wind pressure from applying the front brake.
- The new LED headlight is lightweight, bright and distinctive. This low-electric draw light has a narrow, stacked shape to allow the SRAD ducts at the nose of the fair access to the high-pressure air created at higher speeds.
- LED Combination tail and brake light has a very low electrical draw and the vertically stacked shape permits the tail section to be narrow for better air flow at the back of the motorcycle. The licence plate is also illuminated by a LED light.
- New poly-function Start/Stop Switch combines the engine stop and start functions. The switch is a fine complement to the Suzuki Easy Start system fitted to the GSX-R1000.